Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Where I work

"You could write a book on how to get a job"
                               --- Mr. D

It's true.  I probably could.
Lord knows I have plenty of experience in the "getting a job" department.

As of the end of September I've been working at yet another "new" job.  I wasn't looking for a new job. This job came looking for me via a friend of mine  (who is now a co-worker and office companion).

In my new position, I am a supervisor in a historic home which was built from 1916-1918 by famous doctor and his wife.  This doctor was very involved in the starting of a world famous clinic in our city.


Most of my working hours are spent here at this house, though my office is in the carriage house. However, I also, occasionally, spend time (hosting events) at two other historic homes in town.

In the next year (or so) another historic mansion will be added to the list of historic "houses" where events will be hosted.  That mansion happens to have been built by another famous physician from our town, who also happens to be the brother of the previously mentioned famous physician.

front drive to main entrance

It is privilege and honor to work and serve others in these historic homes.

back of home
The learning curve has been steep ... including learning the history of five different homes and their families, food service, scheduling staff, planning events and meals, hosting events, scheduling events. "They" say it will take a year to learn everything.  I believe "them".

P.S.  Yes, I've been very vague about my workplace.  Since it is privately owned, and not a public establishment, I am hesitant to use names of people and places.  If you leave comments, please keep this in mind.  If you have questions, feel free to email me!

8 comments:

  1. There is so much history and pride in working for said organization. I hope you love your job and perhaps this will be the last chapter in your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Cindy! I am loving the job .. and definitely hope it is the last chapter in the job book!

      Delete
  2. This place seems totally up your alley, Cheri! Have a blast :) It looks absolutely beautiful and I am so happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun and busy gig ... and it definitely is absolutely beautiful!

      Delete
  3. Oh this sounds like the perfect "job" for you Cheri. This is a beautiful home....curiosity of it's
    where- abouts is killing me. Congrats on your next adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, you have probably drove by it many times! It's up behind St. Mary's :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:21 PM CST

    Cheri,
    I believe you've been "training" for this job your whole life! It's certainly one that will utilize you many talents! Congrats and I hope that it's fun for you!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the confidence in me Sandy!

      Delete

Stop back to read my response :)
Your comment may not appear right away.