Thursday, February 23, 2012

Furniture makeover

Over 20 years ago I found this Martha Washington sewing cabinet at a garage sale in Upstate New York.  It is a cabinet made for storing sewing supplies dating back to the early 1900's.  I think I paid $15 for it, which was a pretty big spend for a mom with three little kids hittin' up garage sales on a Friday morning.


I used it to store sewing supplies for years, and even used it as a bedside table and end table before it landed it's current job as my jewelry cabinet.


It was a great sewing cabinet, but really shines in its new role storing my jewelry. However.
The old cabinet was looking a little tired and was long overdue for a facelift.


 Last weekend I got busy with the makeover.
Today I put Martha back in our bedroom.


She looks fabulous!


Now I need to get busy and organize the jewelry.


Oh yeah ...on each end is a section that used to hold knitting supplies.
I'm still trying to figure out the best use for it.
Scarves?  Tights?  Socks?
Chocolate?


Annnnnddd....about the yellow-ish and overexposed white photos.
I was struggling tonight -- total user error.
The paint color is Behr Antique White with 
"Tea Stain" Ralph Lauren Faux Technique Glaze over it.


The knobs weren't painted,
I like the contrast of the painted wood and stain knobs.

This project, and a few others things I've been up to at The Cottage over the last week
kinda-sorta explains my blog absence.
Sometimes I just have to get off the computer (and Pinterest) and 
git r done!

8 comments:

  1. Very nice...I always love seeing your makeovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the end sections, or at least one of them, why not install little hooks on the bottom of the lid, and hang necklaces from them? That way, you just lift open the lid, and all the necklaces will be hanging there, easy to get to and untangled? And there will still be room for something in the bottom of the section for other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nate, I actually thought of doing that! Maybe I still will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful! I have a couple of wood pieces I think(?) I want to paint. SO pretty! Nate - I love the necklace idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you keep making use out of your stuff for so long and change it up in the process. I'm also amazed that you took 3 yound children garage saling.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new look....I was probably with you when you bought it on one of the many Friday mornings that we went Garage saleing.

    ReplyDelete

Stop back to read my response :)
Your comment may not appear right away.