Saturday, October 02, 2010

Secret Dip Recipe

Because it's Saturday night,
and because ....

  • our boy is coming home this evening
  • and some friends are dropping by
  • and Baby Girl and her BF Mike are home
  • and  because I just made some of this to.die.for dip

and because I love you ....
I am going to share the secret family chip dip recipe that my mom has made for years. The same dip I used to lick (yes I did) from the bowl to get the last taste of -- and may or may not still do.




It's easy-peasy to make.
Here's what you need:

  • equal amounts of sour cream and cream cheese  (i.e. 16 oz cream cheese + 16 oz sour cream).
  • one onion --- sweet, yellow, white -- it doesn't matter.
  • chips




  1. In a bowl beat the cream cheese
  2. then add the sour cream and beat some more to mix it all up.
  3. With a fine cheese grater, grate onion into the cream cheese and sour cream to taste.  For 16 oz. of cream cheese and 16 oz. sour cream I use about 3 Tablespoons of grated onion --- but I never measure it!
  4. Mix the onion into the cream cheese/sour cream mix with mixer.
  5. TASTE with a chip.  Or two.  Or three.  You want to be sure you have the right amount of onion.  Add more onion if you desire.
Note:  The onion flavor will intensify slightly as the dip sits, so don't go too overboard with the onion.

Everyone will RAVE about how wonderful your HOMEMADE chip dip is --- it's up to you if you keep the recipe a secret or not.

WARNING:  This dip is addictive and very difficult to stop eating once you start.  







3 comments:

  1. Well that's somewhat close to the one our family has made for generations but yet different. We use spices (onion & celery salt, salt, pepper, and a little garlic salt),We have too many picky people to use actual onion, (they might feel the crunch), and we thin it with milk instead of the sour cream but I my just try that next time. and yes it has to be sampled several time to make sure it taste just right. Thanks for sharing your recipe, sound yummy (cuz Im an onion lover)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie...there is no crunch of onion when you grate the onion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can confirm the addictiveness of the dip ... & chips. :)

    ReplyDelete

Stop back to read my response :)
Your comment may not appear right away.