Thursday, July 09, 2009

Camera Dump

Finally got some help with this new lens I'm about to pay for.... and learned what I was doing wrong.  Let's just say it was a humbling moment.

I'm home alone tonight...without a car to go shopping, so I took a few minutes tonight to try the lens.

and I love it!

It's a Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8D
can someone explain all those numbers to me?

Nate took the above photo

I took the one above and the ones below...



See that fan?

It used to be in my Grandma's bedroom.
I have fond memories of listening to the fan "whirr and hum"
when I'd have sleepovers at her house when I was a little girl.



Here's the built-in shelves I recently painted.
I'm still tweaking the items on them.
They're getting closer -- but still aren't totally right.


That's it for the photo dump.  I'm looking forward to using this new lens more. I'm pretty sure I'm really going to like it for close ups and indoor photos with no flash.


(Jen, you can tell Steve I'll be paying him for the lens VERY soon....
then he should take you out to dinner...and let me take care of your little angels)

6 comments:

  1. So, you got help from who? What were you doing wrong? Why didn't you ask?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because you asked...

    50mm is the focal length, of course - which you can kind of translate into a "magnification factor" in relative terms anyway: longer focal length means higher magnification all other things kept equal.

    1:1.8 is reporting on the maximum aperture opening ("F1.8") - see below.

    D is just a Nikon classification of lenses with electronics in them.



    For the interested student... F-numbers relate to the surface area of the circle-like opening formed by the iris in the lens and increments up by factors of 1.42 (the sqrt of 2). First, let's just state that it's pretty common photo-knowledge that a full F-stop change lets double or half the light in as before the change. E.g., F4 lets half the light in that F2.8 does, so if you change shutter speed from 1/125 to 1/250, you need to change aperture from F4 to F2.8 to keep the same exposure. Calc the area of the circle at F4 = pi*r^2. At F2.8, we'll make it = pi*R^2 (capital R). Given the "double the amount of light" comment above, we know that pi*R^2 = 2 * pi*r^2. Divide off the pi from both sides: R^2 = 2 * r^2. Sqrt both sides and you get R=1.42*r, or R = sqrt(2) * r. Common full F-stops on a lens are 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22 - all of which are a factor of 1.42 different from the numbers in either direction. Isn't that special?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started reading Steve's comment, then my brain started to hurt! Pretty pics Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummmmm.... that's exactley what I thought steve...ha ha

    Cheri the pics are wonderful. I can see why you like your new lens, have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve....it was YOU who gave me help...I DID ask. Duh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the details on all the "numbers" Steve....not being a number person myself....it took a great deal of concentration....then when you started with the math equations....well, it got much more difficult for me.

    But thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Stop back to read my response :)
Your comment may not appear right away.