Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I love to read.
I can't remember a time when I didn't love it. From Dr. Suess' Hop On Pop to Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Little Women, I loved reading. Going to the library was the highlight of my summer. When I was younger mom would walk us to the library (about 6 blocks) for storytime. Later on, as I got older I was allowed to walk to the library with my sister or friend for storytime and "reading club". Then...we were allowed to cross the street from the library and go to the five and dime where we could buy candy, then go to the drugstore for a cherry coke...and all we had was a quarter that got us candy, gum and pop!
But I digress.
My love for books and reading no doubt is because my mom and my grandma read to us kids alot. Books were always part of Christmas and birthdays too. Grandma was a 1st grade teacher. In fact...she was Kirk's and his sister Sandy's first grade teacher! How crazy is that!? I look at it this way....Grandma instilled reading in my mom, sisters, husband and sister-in-love...and modeled it to us....and now my children are readers!
Here's a pic of my grandma....taken at my wedding. She's reading to little ones in Heaven now....but her legacy reads on!

These reading materials arrived in the mail today....so much to read, so little time!
All these magazines that came in the mail TODAY will be perused on and off.....but this book will be read ...I caved, and entered into the Oprah craze on this book. As I read I'll keep you posted on any controversial or profound words. I think this could be the secular version of Purpose Driven Life. We'll see. (so far ....interesting.)
Off to read,

2 comments:

  1. Yay for reading...I love to read too. I'm also reading an Oprah book. "The Pillars of the Earth". Isnt it cool to see how you Grandma's love of reading has affected so much of your family, it's like a domino effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of reading this book too. Let me know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete

Stop back to read my response :)
Your comment may not appear right away.